- Health Information + Tools
- Behavioral Health + Substance Use Disorder
- Children and Adults with Special Needs
- Digital Tools
- Immediate Care
- Preventive Care
- Protection Against Domestic Violence
- Save a Loved One's Life
- Understanding + Choosing Quality Health Care
- Unlock a Healthier You
- Well! Magazine
Flu Shots Are Covered
If you're thinking about getting a flu shot this year, you should know that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says that everyone over 6 months of age should get vaccinated.
Of course, you'll want to talk to your doctor about getting a flu shot, but in the meantime, here are a few things you should know.
Coverage for Seasonal Flu Vaccine
Tufts Health Plan covers flu shots, and you can get one at many convenient locations. For most plans, there is no cost to you and copayment/deductible does not apply. If you pay out-of-pocket for the flu vaccine, you can submit for reimbursement from Tufts Health Plan.
Where to Get Immunized
- Your doctor's office: You pay no copay or deductible if your visit is just for a flu shot.
- Town or school clinics: Just show your Tufts Health Plan member ID card and you'll pay no copay. To find a flu shot clinic, contact your city or town administrator.*
- At worksite clinics operated by contracted vendors: The Wellness Company, CVS Caremark®, and Maxim.* When you show your member ID card, you pay no copay or other cost.
- Participating MinuteClinics within CVS Pharmacy® locations in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York: When you show your member ID card, you pay no copay or other cost. Appointments are not required.*
- Participating CVS Pharmacy® locations in Massachusetts, Rhode Island and New Hampshire: When you show your member ID card, you pay no copay or other cost. Appointments are not required. MA and RI locations can accept members age 18 and older and NH locations can accept members age 9 and older, per state regulations.
- Participating pharmacies within the Caremark network: This expanded network is for members who receive their pharmacy benefit through Tufts Health Plan. (Please refer to your Plan document to confirm coverage). Click here to locate a Caremark pharmacy nationwide. Please call the pharmacy in advance to confirm that they offer the flu shot.
- Any self-pay clinic/vaccination site: Member reimbursement applies (See link to claim form below).
- For members receiving home health services: You are eligible to receive the seasonal flu vaccine in your home if you have been approved for and are currently receiving home health services at the time of your vaccination.
*Age restrictions may apply.
Please contact participating flu clinics before attending to check on scheduling and to confirm that they accept Tufts Health Plan.
If you pay for a flu shot at a clinic that isn't listed here, you can ask to be reimbursed by submitting our Member Reimbursement Medical Claim form.
Important Exception for Children
Children six months through eight years of age who have never received a flu vaccination, as well as some children who have been vaccinated previously, may need more than one dose of the flu vaccine to be fully protected. Parents should check with their child's pediatrician first.
If you have questions about this information, call Member Services at the number listed on your member ID card.