Flu shots are covered
If you're thinking about getting a flu shot this year, you should know that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says that everyone 6 months and older should get vaccinated.
Of course, you'll want to talk to your doctor about getting a flu shot, but in the meantime, here are a few things you should know.
Coverage for seasonal flu vaccine
Flu shots are a covered benefit under Tufts Health Plan. For most plans, there is no cost to you and a copayment/deductible does not apply. If you pay out-of-pocket for the flu vaccine, you can submit for reimbursement from Tufts Health Plan. Age restrictions may apply. If you are unsure about your plan's benefit or where you can get a flu shot, please call Member Services at the number on your Tufts Health Plan member ID card.
Where to get immunized
- Your doctor's office: For most plans, you pay no copay or deductible if your visit is just for a flu shot.
- Town or school clinics: Just show your Tufts Health Plan member ID card and for most plans you'll pay no copay. Contact your city or town administrator.1
- At worksite clinics operated by contracted vendors: The Wellness Company, CVS Caremark®, and Maxim.1 For most plans, when you show your member ID card, you pay no copay or other cost.
- Participating MinuteClinics within CVS Pharmacy® locations in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York: For most plans, when you show your member ID card, you pay no copay or other cost. Appointments are not required.1
- Participating CVS Pharmacy® locations in Massachusetts, Rhode Island and New Hampshire: For most plans, when you show your member ID card, you pay no copay or other cost. Appointments are not required. MA and RI locations can accept members age 18 and older and NH locations can accept members age 9 and older, per state regulations.
- Participating pharmacies within the Caremark network: This expanded network is for members who receive their pharmacy benefit through Tufts Health Plan. (Please refer to your Plan document to confirm coverage). Locate a Caremark pharmacy nationwide. Please call the pharmacy in advance to confirm that they offer the flu shot.
- Any self-pay clinic/vaccination site: Member reimbursement applies (See link to claim form below).
- For members receiving home health services: You are eligible to receive the seasonal flu vaccine in your home if you have been approved for and are currently receiving home health services at the time of your vaccination.
Please contact participating flu clinics before attending to check on scheduling and to confirm that they accept Tufts Health Plan.
If you pay for a flu shot at a clinic that isn't listed here, you can ask to be reimbursed by submitting our Member Reimbursement Medical Claim form.
If you have questions about this information, call Member Services at the number listed on your member ID card.