Questions to Ask When Selecting a Behavioral Health (BH) Provider
When choosing a BH provider, ask yourself:
- Do you prefer a provider with a certain type of training or educational background? Click here to learn more about the different types of BH providers.
- Is it important to you that the counselor be legally authorized to prescribe drug treatment if necessary? Only therapists with certain educational backgrounds and licenses can prescribe medications.
- Do you prefer a male or female therapist or is gender unimportant to you?
Once you select the type of provider you want and make a list of names of network providers who may meet your needs, call the providers’ offices to get more information about their practices.
Here are some questions you may want to ask:
- Does the clinician have experience treating your condition?
- Is the clinician accepting new patients?
- What hours are available for appointments?
- How does the provider run the session?
- What is the provider's expectation of the patient?
- What is the office’s appointment cancellation policy?
- Does the clinician focus on a particular age group, such as adolescents or seniors?
- What determines the course of treatment, and when is treatment considered completed?