When You Need Care Right Away

Take these steps

When it's not an emergency

Your primary care provider (PCP) or your behavioral health provider can often address medical or behavioral health problems that are not emergencies (situations that put your life in danger or risk permanent damage to your health).

In urgent situations, call your PCP or behavioral health provider. You can contact any of your providers’ offices 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If appropriate, make an appointment to visit or telehealth your provider. Your provider must see you within 48 hours for urgent care appointments. If you need care before your provider can see you, ask about your options.

In some areas, you may be able to go to a free-standing urgent care center (UCC) or a CVS MinuteClinic. UCCs and MinuteClinics can handle minor problems, like cold and flu symptoms, ear infections, sore throats, skin problems and immunizations. UCCs can handle broken bones, sprains and other more complex but non-emergency issues.

To find a UCC in our provider network, use our Find a Doctor, Hospital or Pharmacy tool

To find a CVS MinuteClinic near you, visit cvs.com/minuteclinic

If your condition gets worse and you need emergency care, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. If you have a behavioral health concern, you may also call your local emergency service program (ESP) provider.

24/7 NurseLine

You can call our 24/7 NurseLine at 888.MY.RN.LINE (888.697.6546) and talk with a registered nurse any time, day or night. Our NurseLine nurses are available 24/7 if you:

  • Need help deciding whether or not you should go to the emergency room
  • Want advice about treatment options
  • Have questions about prescriptions or medical procedures
  • Need to find a doctor or hospital
  • Want to learn more about an ongoing condition

If you have questions or would like more information about our 24/7 NurseLine, call us at 888-257-1985 (TTY: 711), Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. We're happy to help.

Our 24/7 NurseLine does not replace a doctor. If you need immediate medical attention, you should call 911 or go to a nearby emergency room. For behavioral health (mental health and/or substance use) emergencies, you should contact your local emergency services provider. For non-urgent issues, you should contact your health care provider.