Tufts Health Plan Waiving Treatment Costs for Members with COVID-19
Includes copays, deductibles and coinsurance
Tufts Health Plan is waiving treatment costs for its members suffering from the coronavirus, including copays, deductibles and coinsurance. This coverage applies at in-network providers, urgent care centers, emergency rooms and other facilities, and at out-of-network providers in the event a member cannot easily find an in-network provider to provide timely services.
“It is an understatement to say the coronavirus has caused tremendous disruption to all of us in our personal daily lives, but one thing that has not changed is our commitment to those we serve,” said Tom Croswell, Tufts Health Plan president and CEO. “We are committed to ensuring that our members have access to affordable, high quality care. These changes and enhancements for all our members – regardless of age or circumstance – are critical not only their health, but for the health of our entire community.”
The waiving of treatment costs is just one part of what Tufts Health Plan is doing to eliminate barriers to care during the coronavirus outbreak. Other initiatives include:
- Testing – Waiving costs for the testing and counseling.
- Pharmacy – Allowing members to refill their prescription medication(s) early, before their current fill is empty (controlled substances excluded).
- Telehealth/Telemedicine – Eliminating out-of-pocket costs for telehealth visits.*
- Prior Authorizations – Removing prior authorization requirements for providers as it relates to treatment and care of coronavirus.
- Community Commitment – The Tufts Health Plan Foundation committed $1 million to nonprofit organizations in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire and Connecticut supporting older people affected by the coronavirus outbreak.
While the Tufts Health Plan physical buildings are closed, the company is fully open for business, with its employees working remotely. For the most up to date information on Tufts Health Plan’s response to the coronavirus, visit tuftshealthplan.com/coronavirus. Members can also call the customer service number on their Tufts Health Plan member ID.