The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved several COVID-19 vaccines. A vaccine will be available to all individuals free of charge.
- Early supplies of the vaccine are limited.
- We are hopeful that over the next few months, more groups will have had an opportunity to be vaccinated.
The first vaccines approved require two doses. You will need to take both doses for the vaccine to be fully effective.
COVID vaccine distribution for residents of the Commonwealth is being led at the state level in a phased in approach. Currently all people in Phase 1 and group 1 in Phase 2, which is people 75+, are eligible. You can learn more about the groups in each phase and groups currently eligible at https://www.mass.gov/info-details/massachusetts-covid-19-vaccination-phases.
The general public (those not falling into one of the higher risk categories) is not expected to be offered the vaccine until later in 2021. For more detailed information and the most up to date information on vaccine distribution, please visit https://www.mass.gov/covid-19-vaccine.
There is no cost for our members to get the vaccine.
Be aware of vaccine scams
As COVID-19 vaccine distribution begins, be aware that scams are starting to emerge. It’s important to know what signs to watch for, including:
- You are asked to pay out-of-pocket to get the vaccine.
- You are asked to pay to put your name on a vaccine waiting list or to get early access.
- Marketers offer to sell or ship doses of the vaccine for payment.
Learn more about how to protect yourself and report potential COVID-19 fraud here.