- Health Information + Tools
- Behavioral Health + Substance Use Disorder
- Children and Adults with Special Needs
- Digital Tools
- Immediate Care
- Preventive Care
- Protection Against Domestic Violence
- Save a Loved One's Life
- Understanding + Choosing Quality Health Care
- Unlock a Healthier You
- Well! Magazine
Choosing a Hospital
What You Should Know About Choosing a HospitalThe Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) recommends you ask the following questions when selecting a hospital:
- Does my health plan cover care at the hospital?
- Does my doctor have privileges at the hospital (permitted to admit patients)?
- Does the hospital have experience with my condition?
- Has the hospital had success with my condition?
- How does the hospital compare with others in my area?
Researching Your HospitalTo help get you started, use the tools below to explore and comparison shop. In order to choose the hospital that's best for you, it's important to discuss your concerns and options with your doctor.
Hospital Compare from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, provides information on how well hospitals in your geographic area care for their adult patients with certain medical conditions.
Quality Check offered by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health Care Organizations, an independent nonprofit group that approves the quality-related structures, processes and performance of most hospitals in the country, allows you to search by hospital, location or type of service.
Leapfrog Group provides comparisons of how 1,300 hospitals follow 30 different practices that helps insure quality, safe patient care. You'll learn which hospitals staff their intensive care units (ICUs) with specialized doctors and nurses, and which hospitals require doctors to enter orders electronically in an effort to avoid errors.
Massachusetts Hospitals Quality and Cost Information includes health care quality, cost, and volume by surgeon and facility data for hospitals throughout the Commonwealth.
To use our Hospital Search to find a hospital in Tufts Health Plan's networks or to Find a Doctor to see if your physician has admitting privileges at a particular hospital use our Find a Doctor tool at the top of this page.