Healthy Birthday Program
For members with high-risk pregnancies
Tufts Health Plan's Healthy Birthday program is for pregnant women at risk for premature delivery as well as those with medical high-risk pregnancy due to existing conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, multiple sclerosis, pregnancy induced hypertension or gestational diabetes. Tufts Health Plan obstetrical nurse care manager services are available to support high-risk members during their pregnancy.
Who is eligible?
Tufts Health Plan commercial HMO and POS members are eligible. Members can refer themselves to the program or be referred by their OB provider.
How the program works
The following is some top-level information about this great program:
- Tufts Health Plan obstetrical nurse care manager services are available to support high-risk members during their pregnancy
- Our obstetrical care managers work with providers and members throughout pregnancy to support treatment plans and maximize community and other resources that may be available
- Education on such topics as pregnancy and fetal development, identification of signs and symptoms of preterm labor, smoking cessation, coping with prescribed activity changes such as bed rest, and managing medical conditions while pregnant.
- Our Prenatal Care Guidebook is mailed to all identified pregnant members. The guidebook includes educational materials and resources along with a depression self-assessment screening tool specific to this population
Warning signs of preterm labor
Call your doctor or nurse immediately if you notice any of these signs:
- Uterine contractions—six or more per hour (may be painless)
- Mild abdominal cramps, like a menstrual period, with or without diarrhea
- Constant, low, dull backache
- Pelvic or lower abdominal pressure
- Increase or change in vaginal discharge (may become pink or brown-tinged, mucousy or watery)
- Ruptured membranes (your "water breaks")
- A general feeling that something is not right or you may not feel well, even without a specific cause.
If you would like to refer yourself to the Healthy Birthday Program or would like additional information, please contact us.