← Well Winter 2021
Get Costs Before You Get Care
Our Treatment Cost Estimator helps you compare out-of-pocket costs at different providers
The same exact procedure can vary in price by hundreds or even thousands of dollars depending on where you go for treatment. By using the Treatment Cost Estimator, you can compare your options and better understand how much it will cost — before making an appointment.1 This helps you plan ahead and have a greater sense of control over your budget.
You can use the Treatment Cost Estimator by logging into your secure member account at mytuftshealthplan.com or with our mobile app. (If you don’t have a secure member account, it’s easy to register.) Because you get immediate access to cost estimates with the tool, there’s no need to contact member services for the information.
You can also use the Treatment Cost Estimator to:
- Search for doctors and hospitals by name or specialty. (The Treatment Cost Estimator is integrated with our provider search tool.)
- Share cost estimates for specialized treatment with your primary care provider and discuss the option that’s right for you.
- Understand the services, timelines, and costs for a complete episode of care—from evaluation through follow-up. The tool even shows the cost for medications you’re likely to need.
Common procedures with uncommon savings
The treatment setting for care can be as important as the actual provider when it comes to saving money. This is particularly true for the common, low-risk outpatient procedures below. They often cost considerably less when members receive them at an in-network freestanding medical facility rather than at an in-network hospital outpatient department:
- CT Scans
You can use the Treatment Cost Estimator to find the most affordable and convenient freestanding facility when your doctor orders one of these health care services for you.
Other advantages of freestanding medical facilities
These facilities can be more affordable, convenient, and technologically advanced than hospital imaging centers. Other advantages may include:
- The ability to speak with facility staff to review your insurance benefits and arrive at a good-faith cost estimate for the procedure.
- Shorter wait times and more personalized service. (Hospitals may delay appointments in favor of urgent or emergency inpatient needs.)
- Multiple locations in the community and the option of evening and weekend appointments.