Toss a handful of on-hand pantry ingredients with your boneless chicken and let it slow-cook all day. Then when it’s ready just shred the chicken, assemble the taquitos, and pop them in your air fryer.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 8 hours
- 1 1/2-2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1-2 teaspoons chili powder, to taste or preferred level of spice
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 16 oz. jar of your favorite salsa, mild, medium or hot, as desired
- 15 oz. can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheese (about 8 oz.), white or yellow cheddar, Monterey Jack, pepper Jack, or a combination
- 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
- salsa, guacamole, sour cream, etc., for dipping
- Season your chicken with salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder, and place in your slow cooker.
- Pour salsa over the chicken.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Shred the chicken with forks and stir in the rinsed and drained black beans.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°F.
- Wrap the tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave for 30-60 seconds or until soft and pliable. Lay out on your work surface. Sprinkle about 1/4 cup shredded cheese onto each tortilla and scatter a thin layer (about 2-3 tablespoons) of the chicken mixture on each.
- Roll up tightly and place seam side down in the air fryer basket. Brush lightly with olive oil.
- Once you have 4-6 taquitos in the basket, air fry at 400°F for 5-6 minutes. You may want to check after 2-3 minutes to see if any are unrolling, then just reroll and continue cooking.
- Serve with your favorite dips.
You will only need about 1-1½cups of the chicken mixture to make 8 taquitos. You can always make more, or save the rest to make tacos, nachos, etc. You can store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 or 4 days. Or freeze for up to 2 months.
For conventional oven increase temperature 25 degrees to 425° F and cook about 9-10 minutes.
Recipe courtesy: Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips