5 Steps to Get Started with Tufts Health Plan
A quick start guide
Welcome to Tufts Health Plan, where we believe the journey to better health should be simpler than it is. You can get the most out of your new plan by taking an active role, and we’re with you every step of the way: answering your questions and arming you with information to make smart decisions about your care.
So how do you become confident and comfortable with your new plan?
Here are five steps you should take to get started. They’ll help you avoid surprises, save money, and stay healthy.
1. Choose a primary care provider (PCP)
Even if your plan doesn’t require one, it’s good to have a PCP as your guide to the health care system. Your PCP is the one medical professional who knows your health better than anyone. They can treat you for a wide range of issues or refer you to a specialist if needed. Your PCP will also perform or arrange for preventive care screenings such as blood pressure, cholesterol, and more.
2. Sign up for your secure online member account1
Once you receive your member ID number, you can register for your secure member account at mytuftshealthplan.com. This is a one-stop, secure website that allows you to check claims, view your benefits, see the status of referrals (should you need them), and find how much you have paid toward your deductible, out-of-pocket maximums, and more. You can even take care of your health by taking a Wellbeing Assessment. Find tips, tools, and videos, and connect to virtual coaches to help you be your healthiest.
3. Download our free mobile app
After you are enrolled with Tufts Health Plan, you can get quick, easy access to the information that matters most—anytime, anywhere! You can compare treatment costs, check your claims, view your benefits and deductible accumulations, and more. Our Tufts Health Plan mobile app is available on the App Store and Google Play.
4. Shop around
Did you know you can shop for your medical care just like you would for other services you buy? The same procedure or treatment can cost drastically different amounts depending on which provider you see. Our Provider Search and Treatment Cost Estimator tool can estimate costs based on the specific details of your plan benefits. The tool is conveniently available on the homepage of mytuftshealthplan.com.
5. Save money
There are many ways to save money with your plan. For example, you can:
- Choose cost-saving alternatives to the emergency room, such as urgent care centers, limited-service clinics, and telehealth (if included with your plan)
- Use freestanding facilities (a non-hospital setting) to receive day surgery and high-tech imaging services
- Use mail-order service for prescriptions you take regularly (depending on your plan)
- Take advantage of member discounts on everything from eyewear and fitness club memberships to nutrition and weight management