Find a Health Center
Free at-home rapid tests may also be available at community health centers and Medicare-certified rural health clinics.
There are also state and local programs in place for free COVID-19 testing, as well. In addition to the state resources listed here, look to your local board of health or your city or town website for more information.
Over-the-counter, at-home COVID-19 tests
We are covering the cost of up to eight over-the-counter, at-home COVID-19 tests per member, per month as further described below. We will pay only for tests that are approved by or granted emergency use authorization by the FDA, are intended for individualized diagnosis or treatment of COVID-19 (not for resale) and are not for employment purposes.
View a List of Eligible Tests
Tufts Health Plan commercial and Tufts Health Direct members
- Commercial and Direct members should visit a participating Caremark pharmacy to purchase the tests with no upfront cost.
- Commercial and Direct members paying for at-home tests out-of-pocket can also submit a form for reimbursement through CVS Caremark. Members can submit an online reimbursement form through their accounts on www.caremark.com, or they can complete a paper reimbursement form and mail it with their receipts to CVS Caremark. Please see the forms for instructions.
- We will only pay for eligible tests from originating retailers that are not resellers and are purchased on or after January 15, 2022. (Examples of resellers that are ineligible for reimbursement include Ebay, Craigslist, OfferUp, Shopify, Facebook Marketplace and Bonanza).
- Please note, self-insured employer groups may choose to administer this benefit through their pharmacy benefit manager. Members of self-insured groups should follow up with their employer to confirm their coverage options.
- MA Together, RITogether, Senior Care Options and Unify members can obtain coverage for over-the-counter tests through their pharmacy benefits. Members should visit an in-network pharmacy to purchase the tests with no upfront cost.
Medicare Advantage members
- As of February 1, 2022, Tufts Health Plan Medicare Advantage (HMO) members are covered for at-home tests through the end of the federal public health emergency or December 31, 2022, whichever is earlier. Please visit this webpage for coverage details.
We continue to work on finding additional solutions to simplify the process for our members.
Medicare Supplement members
If you purchase your own Medicare Supplement policy, or if you have a Medicare Supplement policy through your employer, you are covered for over-the-counter COVID-19 tests through Medicare and can visit a participating Medicare pharmacy location to purchase tests with no upfront cost. Medicare will cover the cost of up to eight over-the-counter COVID-19 tests per month at participating locations. For complete coverage information, go to www.medicare.gov
In-person PCR, antigen and antibody laboratory tests
We also cover in-person PCR (polymerase chain reaction), antigen and antibody laboratory testing consistent with federal and state guidance at no cost to our members. These tests must be medically necessary, as determined by a health care provider, in accordance with current CDC and state public health department guidelines.
COVID-19 PCR tests that are laboratory processed and either conducted in person or at home must be ordered or referred by a provider to be covered benefits. We will not cover or reimburse you for these tests when you order them yourself, including when you order using an online self-completed questionnaire. Testing is not covered solely for general workplace health and safety, public health surveillance or for other purposes not primarily intended for a member’s individual COVID-19 diagnosis or treatment. Diagnostic coronavirus testing required as a condition of travel inside or outside of the United States is not covered.
Diagnostic testing required by your provider for surgical or other medical procedures is medically necessary and covered, including if you are pregnant or an expectant parent and testing is required prior to admittance to a delivery facility. As always, coverage is only available to health plan members.
Updates to our current COVID-19 testing policies will be published to this site as they become available.